Using the information from the user testing, we changed the feed page, testers were getting caught up on the feed and it wasn't meaningful to them. They didn't know or care what the difference between learn and discover was. We changed the 'feed' tab to 'home' and got rid of the discover and learn options. Through our last round of user testing we'd really honed in on what the testers felt was important to include in a search, we cut down the input as much as possible to ease the search process, and added the ability to view friends profiles directly from the profile tab. At this point we applied our visual design and went back for a final round of testing. After looking through the prototype devoid of any context, we asked the users what they thought the app would do out of three testers their responses were:
"An app to help you discover new wines and to keep track of your previous favorites and to rate the wines that you’ve tried."
"An app for helping you find out information about wine. Helps you taste the wine without opening the wine. That also has these social aspects of it. Yeah."
"Useful tool for exploring and rating wines, and figuring out what you like and don’t like, and having a really handy place to record that information."
We made some final tweaks based on the information from our final round of testing, the final prototype screens can be viewed via the link below.
Once we had the Information Architechture (IA) sorted, we needed to verify it made sense to the user, so we brought the product back to the users. We were looking to verify two things:
Does the IA we're using lend itself to our stated goals?
Are the features we've chosen intuitive to find?
Are the features we've chosen useful to the user?
To achieve this, we gave the users very little context, we asked them two very general questions about their wine consumption, then began showing them the interactive prototype. Testers were getting hung up on the feed tab, they didn't see the difference between learn and discover, and they didn't care. Testers really liked the profile, what it contained and how it was organized, we did however, find a couple things to optimize about the way the information was presented. We took the information from testing back and iterated on our design.
Defining a goal
At this phase of our design we were still working on a name for our product, we knew from our product vision statement that we wanted to offer "a platform to help you confidently discover new wines, and grow with you as you explore your palate." We knew from our Research and Product phases while using our app we wanted the experience to convey specific feelings to our users, namely: 'the thrill of the hunt,' 'the wonder of the journey,' 'the joy of discovery,' and 'the excitement of exploring.'
We developed an Information Architecture (IA) that encourages users to begin their own journey with wine; to explore both wine and their own palette in order to discover new wines they like; and find out what flavors in wines they don’t like. After iterating on navigation methods, we decided on a persistent bottom nav bar that consists of four primary functions and a hamburger menu for additional features.
The 'feed' tab which offers users a place to input palette information, order a wine tasting flight to share with friends, see what others are drinking, and see wines suggested by experts, or the apps palette matching algorithm.
The 'search' tab allows users to search for wines that match their own, or their friends palette profiles. This features also allows the user to input how 'safe' or 'adventurous' they are feeling, this gives the user the option to discover more and expand their palette, or find something they know they'll like.
The 'scan' tab allows the user to use the camera to input a single wine bottle label, many labels at a time, or input a wine menu to find something that matches their palette profile.
The 'me' tab allows users to see their own palette profile visually. This keeps a running history of the wines the user has tried, as well as what the user did or didn't like about the wine. Every bottle is an adventure, and every adventure is recorded. You can also view your friends profiles from this tab, or through the hamburger menu.
Below is the final IA that we ended with and the initial wireframes that we used to get started. At this point we felt strong about the core of the product and were ready to begin testing again.
CASE STUDY: WINE SCOUT INTERACTION DESIGN
Once we understood user motivations about why they drink wine, and developed a strong product vision, the next step was to create a great product. We achieved this through three steps: 1) defining a goal, 2) purposeful user testing, 3) thoughtful product iterations.
For additional background on the product up to now, see the Product Design Phase.